The Client Letter
August 31, 2012
Sunny 70 Degrees
Are you playing this client game for the long term?
If not, there’s a good chance you’ll lose to someone who is.
I haven’t talked much about the long view, but in my opinion, it’s extremely important to your success as a provider of professional services.
Take a look at the two lists below. The first has some items that might describe someone in this game for the short term. The second list describes someone taking a long view.
List #1: The Short Term Player
- Has time pressure to close deals now, even though this might cause resentment (from discounted services, terms, etc.) later.
- Needs to make offers with deadlines (real or fake) because clients have to make decisions sooner, rather than later.
- Is willing to discount services to get client work.
- Often emits the “I need something from you and I need it quickly” signal to clients.
- Puts greater emphasis on closing deals than the long term growth of a relationship.
List #2: The Long Term Player
- Has no problem rejecting clients or projects that are not a good fit for now (despite any short term consequences).
- Always chooses to build long term relationships instead of short term income.
- Emits no signal of “need” EVER.
- Does not get emotionally caught up in client projects. Retains perspective given by focusing on the long view.
- Does not rush to close client engagements. Let’s them unfold and close naturally.
So which sounds like a more attractive set of attributes from the perspective of your future clients?
In my experience, taking the long view is not something you do after you’ve “made it.” It’s a choice you make when you begin that actually helps you create success.
If you want my best advice for instantly appearing like a professional to your prospects, this is it.
Take the long view. You’ll stick out like a sore thumb.
P.S. Now through Sunday night at midnight EST, the items listed below are a full 50% off.
I have been told that the information found in the items below is some of the best available.
Come Sunday night, ALL of these products below will disappear for good.
Here are the items I’m talking about:
Before You Make the Call
How to Dig for Gold
How to Get Kick-Ass Clients
How I Became a Six-Figure Copywriter
Use coupon code BETTER at checkout to get the discount.